The proximity sensor in Beoplay H8i and Beoplay H9i is a smart feature that automatically pauses your music or video streaming when you remove your headphones from your head. When you put your headphones back on, the music or video automatically starts playing again.
The proximity sensor works in such a way that, once you turn on the headphones, they calibrate the distance between your ear and the earcup. To work properly, the proximity sensor must calibrate each time you turn on your headphones. We find that many of our customers put on the headphones and then turn them on. But that actually causes a few challenges. Because the sensors are then already close to your ear when it starts to calibrate. This therefore makes it very sensitive to changes in the distance to the ear, which may cause in unwanted pauses in the music.
So how do you avoid, that your H8i or H9i pause the sound unwanted? We here give you 4 simple steps to avoid this.
- Always make sure that you have the latest updated software in your headphones. This can be found in the Bang & Olufsen app.
- Turn your headphones on – BEFORE wearing them.
- Let them calibrate for a few seconds and then place them on the head.
- Make sure the headphones are placed correctly and comfortable on or over your ears with no obstacles, like hair, in between you and the headphones.
With these small tips, you should avoid unwanted pauses in the sound. However, if you simply don’t want to risk any unwanted pauses in what you are playing, you can easily turn the proximity sensor completely off. Let us show you how:
- Set the headphones into pairing mode (lights up blue)
- You double tap the sensor of the touch pad (lights up red)
- Press and hold the center button for 5 seconds. (lights up blue)
- Double press the same button (lights red)
If you wish to re-enable the proximity sensor, repeat the procedure above until the light turns green.
We hope this was helpful. Enjoy your Bang & Olufsen headphones :o)